Overheard

Just a few of the things that I've overheard lately & took note of. Mostly revolving around the basic nature of humanity. The pull of good and evil, magic eight ball predictions, and, well . . weapons. . .

- p.s: hopefully these aren't repeats. Seems I forgot to mark which ones I've already shared. 




First shake:  "Is Arlo ever going to have a girlfriend?"
Second shake: "Is Arlo ever going to have a boyfriend?
Third shake:  "Is the world going to explode?"
-Leon / in his room alone, testing the fate of the magic eight ball.


"Baby going down the drain. Baby GOING, down, the drain"
- Rex,  debuting his latest song title.


"Oh Dad, Dad! I choose dad!"
- Arlo's overly enthusiastic response to an explanation about divorce and kids having to sometimes choose which parent they would rather live with.


"Somethings bother me and somethings don't. You know what's bothering me right now? The hole in my sock. It's making me feel weird. . . "
- Leon, being Leon.


"Then, he pulled out a knife."
- Rex, in his infamously over exaggerated accounts of most preschool scenarios. This one involving a tif in the sandbox with a boy "in a black shirt." Who, apparently tried to knife him because he wouldn't share the ice cream scooper. 


"Mom, Rex gave me his red bike."
"why?"
"Because it doesn't roll anymore."
- Leon, sadly delighted by his brother's sudden generosity in handing over his flat tire.


"Ok, I have a pocket knife, when can I have a bb gun?
- Arlo, testing limits.


"You know if you have an evil baby God wants you to punch him?"
Rex, being weird.


"I'm only eating toast if Arlo's eating toast."
Rex, obsessed with all things 'older brother.'


"My teacher said I don't need to take anymore "family days."
"But, you really were sick a couple times."
"I don't know, Maybe she's on Instagram . . ."
- Arlo, with a point.


"Rex is such a pretty pretty, PRETTY little baby boy."
- Leon, in retaliation, donning overdone baby talk, getting Rex where it hurts him the most.


"they all just look just like the other dresses you already have."
- Arlo, helping me pick from Free People online, for an upcoming wedding (With a point)


"You need to put that ipad away Rex, it will rot your brain."
"I'm not using my brain, Leon, I'm using my heart."
" well . . . can I have a turn?"
- Leon, being Leon. Rex, being Rex. Playing mind craft


"I'm scared to play soccer!!"
"Leon, you're not even signed up!"
"I know but when I drew a soccer ball Abby said I should think about playing soccer and it scares me just thinking about it!"
- Leon, ever the anti sports authority.


"I only want one, little evil turtle."
- Rex, in request for a new pet. 


"I hate it."
- Rex, with a beanie, hiding his new dutch boy haircut (courtesy of Mom, after one 1/2 glasses of wine)



L "But WHO made me?" 
R "God did, Leon. He made your skin, and your body and your eyes. And he made all the TVs."
- Rex, with answers.


"Just buy me cheese ok? I can't eat. All of my teeth are gone."
- Rexdramatically recounting his last fall in which his lip was cut. (Or, knocked out all of his teeth depending on who you ask)


* Photos by the lovely Ashely Jennett